Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight.
The National Institutes of Health has prepared adult BMI guidelines to help
determine if someone is underweight, at a healthy weight, overweight, or
obese. Use the BMI calculator below to determine your current BMI and what
you need to do, if anything, to reach your ideal BMI.
Take the following steps to use the BMI calculator below
- Step 1: Select male or female
- Step 2: Slide the ruler labeled "Height" to your current height and the ruler labeled "Weight" to your current weight
- Step 3: View your results on the right-hand side, labeled "Your BMI"
- Step 4: Click “Print your results” to print and save your results to discuss with your doctor
- Step 5: Adjust the weight ruler to see how much weight you would need to lose or gain to be in the ideal range
Body Mass Index Categories
Underweight = Less than 18.5
Normal weight = Between 18.5 and 24.9
Overweight = Between 25 and 29.9
Obese = 30 or greater
The BMI calculator is provided for your information only. It is not a
substitute for professional medical advice and may not represent your
true individual medical situation. It does not take all possible factors
into account in its assessment of your healthy weight. For example, it
may overestimate body fat in very muscular individuals or in people who
are less than 5 feet tall, and may underestimate body fat in people who
have lost muscle mass, such as the elderly. Do not use this information
to make significant changes in your diet, your exercise regimen, or other
aspects of your lifestyle without consulting your doctor.