Exercise Safety Tips
Making Your Workout Work for You
There should be only two rules for your exercise routine: it should be safe and it should be fun. For safety, begin by talking with your doctor. Once you get the green light, get out there and find something fun to get you moving.
With that in mind, we’ve put together our Top 10 list of exercise tips—just something to think about during what could turn out to be the best minutes of your day.
Top 10 Tips for Staying Safe
1. Warm Up Before/Stretch After: Always remember to warm up before any activity. If you want to jog, warm up by walking—slowly at first and then at faster speeds. When you’ve finished exercising, cool down the same way, by slowing down your exercise. Then you should stretch to help keep your joints and muscles flexible.
2. Don’t Overdo: Remember to take a break when you need one.
3. Have Fun: The more you enjoy it, the more likely you are to stick with it.
4. Start Small: Try taking the stairs or walking from the parking spot farthest from the door.
5. Mix It Up: Try different exercises to ward off the enemy of all workouts: Boredom.
6. Daily Doses: Make exercise a part of your daily routine by finding the time and place that work best for you.
7. Hydrate: Drink lots of water.
8. Exercise Loves Company: Get together with a friend and it may help both of you stay motivated.
9. Listen to Your Body: Forget what you heard about the saying, “No pain, no gain.” While it’s common to feel a little sore after or during a strenuous workout, severe pain is not normal and should be reported to your doctor.
10. Just Rewards: Reward yourself when you reach a goal. You’ve earned it.